A HEALTHIER WORLD EVERY DAY
After a long and successful period of change guided by the growth of our business, we embarked on a new cycle. In 2020, we established that our ambition by 2030 is to transform RD into the group that most contributes to a healthy society in Brazil.
aligns with the purpose that has guided RD for many years:
Take care of people’s health and well-being at every moment of life. We want to go beyond the marketing of medicines. We want to promote health and prevent disease, supporting the construction of a healthier world every day. To do this, we developed a new Sustainability Strategy supported by three pillars:
To significantly impact people's health habits, it is necessary to be part of their daily lives, and this may be the greatest asset in favor of RD. After all, we have the greatest capillarity of physical stores in the country, a more efficient and diversified digital operation every day and a frequency of customer relationships higher than any institution active in the health sector. We know it is quite a challenge, but we are ready to accomplish it, and we have already begun this journey.
Taking care of people’s health and well-being is our business. To serve customers, employees and society in the best way, our activities are based on the following foundations:
Convenience of the multichannel operation.
The largest network of physical stores among any retail segment in the country - we ended 2020 with 2,299 stores, in more than 400 municipalities.
11 Distribution Centers in 2020 (strategically located in nine states).
Discount program that serves employees of more than one thousand companies and 350 health operators.
Own brands with affordable prices and quality comparable to the most traditional ones on the market.
Leadership in the supply of special medications.
Growing investments in innovation through the acquisition of startups.
We are working hard to transform the concept of pharmacy by offering not only products but also health and wellness services in our physical stores and digital channels. To do this, more than ever, we invest in technology and people development.
Browse the infographic and learn about our value generation process
RD Brands; data and inputs derived from customer relationships; RD Ventures
customer relationships; strategic suppliers and partners; proximity to shareholders; interaction with health professionals and operators
+ than 5 thousand suppliers
structure of stores, distribution centers and branches; IT systems and infrastructure; own and third-party fleet
R$ 673.1 million in investments (Capex) in 2020
natural resources (water, electric power and paper)
+ than 200 stores powered by distributed power generation plants
shareholder capital; customer billing; funding resources
R$ 21.2 billion in gross revenue
own employees and third parties from stores and support operations
+ than 43.6 thousand people working at RD
Products and services that fulfill the purpose of caring for people’s health and well-being
Fostering reverse logistics (conscious disposal of medicines) and use of renewable energy
Creation of economic value
Access to health and well-being; comfort, convenience and proximity; safety and protection
Strengthening local economic dynamics; support for social initiatives; contribution to the country’s health infrastructure
DRAG AND CLICK TO GET OUT MORE
AND ESG MANAGEMENT
The growing debate in society on the ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) subject has driven our leaders to deeper reflections on RD’s contributions to the sectoral and global agenda for sustainable development.
Thus, we have devoted a lot of time and energy in recent years to define priorities and performance measurement criteria on topics such as energy efficiency, waste management, employee health, private social investment, among others. In addition, we have included socio-environmental criteria among the indicators that define the variable remuneration of our main leaders and we created our own management structure for Sustainability agendas.
The main link of this structure is the Sustainability Committee, which advises the Board of Directors through the proposal of agendas, deepening debates, mapping trends and other ESG demands.
In addition, it guarantees RD’s commitment to aligning its planning with the United Nations Global Compact and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
The Board of Directors, in turn, guides the execution of the planning by the Executive Board and reports the results to the Shareholders’ General Meeting.
Consisting of nine full members, being three independent members, dictates the general guidelines of the business.
Following good market practices, five Committees advise the board on issues of great relevance.
In 2020, the group formed by the CEO and seven statuary officers met 454 times.
ESG AGENDA IN PRACTICE
The creation of the Sustainability Committee, as well as the Sustainability Executive Board, has been fundamental in recent years for the formalization of commitments and monitoring the implementation of multi-sector actions related to the ESG agenda.
The definitive step towards aligning business aspirations to the socio-environmental dimension was the launch, in 2021, of the strategic sustainability plan, Caminhar Juntos (Walking Together), which organizes ESG planning into pragmatic goals, to be pursued by 2030. Learn more about the plan details in the “Caminhar Juntos” tab.
SUSTAINABILITY MILESTONES IN RD
Since the creation of the company, important steps have been taken
- From the merger of the Droga Raia and Drogasil chains, Raia Drogasil S.A is born, the largest pharmacy chain in Brazil in number of stores and revenue.
- The magazine TODOS is launched. Sold at Drogasil, it follows the same business model as Sorria, from Droga Raia, which donates its profit to NGOs.
- Nine sustainability guidelines have been created to guide the topic within the company.
- The Company announces the change of its corporate brand to RD – Gente, Saúde e Bem-estar (People, Health and Well-being).
- The Norte II (North II) strategic planning was launched, which deepened the approach to the sustainability agenda.
- The Sustainability Committee was created, directly connected to the company's Board of Directors.
- The Internal Volunteer Program was launched, which ended the first year engaging 6.9% of employees in social causes.
- An executive board dedicated to dealing exclusively with the group's sustainability agenda is created.
- RD adheres to the United Nations Global Compact and connects its sustainability strategy to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
- The RD suppliers’ assessment criteria have been revised to include sustainability attributes such as environmental certifications and waste management.
- Adherence to the Women's Empowerment Principles (WEPs), created by UN Women.
- Creation of the Todo Cuidado Conta (All Care Matters) Fund, which donated R$ 25 million in 2020 to fight Covid-19 in 50 hospitals around the country.
- The Caminhar Juntos (Walking Together) plan was launched, an executive document with pragmatic ESG goals to be achieved by 2030.
- Certification in the ISO 14001 and 45001 Standards of the Embu and Guarulhos distribution centers and the building of the Head Office.
Pacts, Commitments and Acknowledgments.
Learn more about the voluntary commitments and pacts we are signatories to.
Awards and Recognition
DRAG TO FIND OUT MORE
We guide our relations with all audiences by complying with the rules and laws applicable to our sector of activity and we always work in an ethical and transparent way. Check out the policies that reinforce our commitment to sustainable development, ensuring that our business generates more and more shared value to society.
CLICK ON THE POLICY AND DOWNLOAD IT.